Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default Septic tank install - why $5K

wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 05:39:51 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:33 pm, " wrote:
I looked around and found that guys with hoes in my area all take
about $5K USD for installation of a 1000 gallon septic tank w. leech
field and this does NOT include the percolation report. The tank
itself costs about a grand $1K, so let's deduct that. The job takes
about 1-2 days. Let's say 2 days = 16 hours. $4K comes out to $250/
hour. That does not sound right. I am sure competitors would bring
the price down. In that case my question is what other costs are
involved? Someone told me transporting the material on-site and
gravel costs need to be considered. Can somebody break down where
does the $5 actually get distributed for a typical installation of a
septic tank with a leech field?
Do you have a backhoe? Do you know how to run one?
Do you know how to install a septic sytem that will pass
inspection. Its a heck of a lot more to it than you think.
The best way to learn why is for you to DIY one with a shovel.
Lots of luck on getting it done in two days even with a backhoe.
My friend had one put in when he built his house. Two inspections
were
required and that dragged theing out a lot. Even in the 70s you could
expect this to cost a couple of $K bucks

My 1995 central Florida experience...

1. Backhoe, operator, two other guys arrive with tank, gravel, pipe and
other necessaries about 8AM

2. Dig hole for 1000 gallon tank, trenches for drain field.

3. Place tank in hole, pipe and other necessaries in trenches

4. Cover stuff up, leave in plenty of time for lunch.

Cost was $1500 total. I'd expect inflation to have bumped that to
$2250-2500 by now.

The wild card is the inspector between step 3 and 4. If you can get
the inspection timed right you might be able to hold that schedule.
Typically you lose a half a day waiting for the inspector before you
can cover it up.
They have been doing these around here (SW Fla) in a day and a half.
Dig and set the equipment one day, get inspected first thing the next
morning and backfill as soon as the inspector leaves.

You also have to add the price of resodding the yard and connecting to
the house. Sod is going for $85 a pallet but the HO can do it. Just
remember "green side up".

Solution: My guy works on Sunday. In , out, done. No inspector involved.