Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Jerry Peters Jerry Peters is offline

Default laptop power fault: compaq presario C300EA

In sci.electronics.repair wrote:
On Feb 17, 6:35*pm, "tg" wrote:
I have a Compaq laptop Model Presario, service tag C300EA that will not
start. It's this one:
http://www.microdevices.lk/images/Laptop.jpg
the motherboard is an IBL30 LA-3324P and they retail for about £125.
ouch
The problem is when I plug a power supply into it and press the on/off
button the power led flashes rapidly for a few seconds and then cuts
out. I then have to wait about a minute before it will light up again.
I've tried three different power supplies, one of them coming from a
battery/voltage converter and all three power supplies produce the same
fault on the laptop so it's not the power supply. It acts the same with
or without a battery fitted. When the power supply is plugged in I did
notice the battery icon flickers all the time with no battery in.
I also connected an amp meter to the power supply and when the power
light does flicker there is virtually no current draw into the laptop.
I split the chassis to take a look and saw that the power socket wires
go straight onto the motherboard. There is no power board or
daughtercard as such..
does anyone have an idea if there's a known component that causes this
problem? or is it a case of new motherboard?
thanks for any pointers.

The symptoms suggest a short on the mainboard, the PSU aren't able to
regulate so their protection circuits are cycling them off as best
they can (at the price-point of the design).

There isn't much you can do at this point except strip the mainboard
down as much as possible. Disconnect hard drive, optical, memory, CPU
(except if you take the heatsink off and it was heatsinking the
chipset, you must put that heatsink back on and ensure it makes good
contact with the chipset still), card reader, screen, inverter board.
See if it will then "seem" (since you have no screen, watch the power
LED(s)) to stay on. It may not, without a processor and memory. If
necessary put those back in and retry. If it stays on, reconnect
screen but not the backpanel lighting inverter yet. If it turns on
and stays on, see if there is output to the screen by shining a strong
flashlight on it.

If it works this far, an inverter failure is a common cause. If it
didn't work at all up to this point, mainboard probably needs
replaced. If it works up to some point in the middle, suspect the part
(s) you added at that point. These days such a problem is typically
handled by replacing the mainboard at a repair shop, then if that
doesn't work they replace the next part and so on, till it's fixed or
the customer refuses to pay for their diagnosed problem since often
the laptop cost little more than the total repair cost.

Had a problem like that with an old Dell laptop. Measuring the
resistance across the power input jack showed a direct short. After
disassembling the unit I found an electrolytic across the power lines,
after the rf filter & fuse that was shorted. Removed it and the laptop
now works fine (so much for no electrolytics in laptops).

Jerry