Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Some recent work

On Feb 18, 11:57 am, Jack Stein wrote:
Leon wrote:
wrote in message
My three latest jewelry boxes:

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

First one was a real challenge. Second one is pretty simple but my
favorite of the three. It's just 3 layers of 1/8" baltic birch bent
over a board at the center and clamped down, no complicated bending
jig required. And the third one also pretty simple, and the most
functional of the group. I really like using the full extension
slides for access to the whole drawer. This was a bit interesting
because the inside of the box is at about a 4 degree angle, the guides
are at that angle as well. Made fitting the drawers a little
interesting.

-Kevin

Absolutely great Kevin but I was really turned off with the mechanical steel
slides on the last one. May I suggest sliding dado's next time?

Thats the only thing I liked... Those slides looked like something I'd
do, the rest of it made me feel like, inferior....

Honestly, those slides really looked out of place on such nice, creative
work. The first two appear to have some creative and unusual slides, so
I can't help wondering why the metalware on the last one?

Well everyone feels strongly about the slides I have had feedback
from customers that they don't like short drawers that fall out when
you try to get to the back of them. As I said elsewhere, the main
problem is the top drawer where the top overhangs, especially if you
have a drawer that is inset to the frame of the box rather than
overlapping the front, the wood slides have to end the thickness of
the front of the drawer plus the reveal from the front edge, the top
overhangs the front of the box perhaps 1/2" to 3/4", and you need a
good 1/2" to 3/4" of the drawer still on the slides to support it
without falling out. Add all that up and you have an inch and half or
more of the drawer still under the top.

The other alternative is to make the top drawer not actually a drawer
but fixed and have the top hinged. That's doable on a rectangular
box, but when you start throwing in angles and curves as I like to do
it starts getting tricky. Plus when you have a solid wood top that is
just a single board I want that attached to some structure to help
limit any warping it wants to do.

-Kevin