Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Making Lathe Bits Without the "Right" Tools

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:09:57 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 18, 7:45 pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Of late when I need a cutter I rough it out of an appropriate HSS blank
with a Makita hand grinder, then finish it on a bench grinder.

--http://www.wescottdesign.com

A good bench grinder is what I use. There are a lot of underpowered
bench grinders out there, and
I suspect that is what you have. You should not be able to stall a
bench grinder. And with a coarse and fine wheel, you should be able to
grind a tool bit about as fast on it as using a angle grinder. Faster
if you count the time to get the angle grinder and the time to put it
away.

The wheels that come with most grinders are not great. But if you buy a
coarse wheel that is about as coarse as the wheel on the angle grinder,
it will cut quickly.

Dan

But I'm still left with rounded-off corners on the wheel, which offends
my aesthetic sensibilities. That's primarily what I'm trying to avoid --
I like maintaining the wheel so its flat all the way across.

(Yes, I'm picky).

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com