Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default Septic tank install - why $5K

" wrote:

I looked around and found that guys with hoes in my area all take
about $5K USD for installation of a 1000 gallon septic tank w. leech
field and this does NOT include the percolation report. The tank
itself costs about a grand $1K, so let's deduct that. The job takes
about 1-2 days. Let's say 2 days = 16 hours. $4K comes out to $250/
hour. That does not sound right. I am sure competitors would bring
the price down. In that case my question is what other costs are
involved? Someone told me transporting the material on-site and
gravel costs need to be considered. Can somebody break down where
does the $5 actually get distributed for a typical installation of a
septic tank with a leech field?

You can come up with all the cost numbers you like, but the bottom line is that
you as a consumer are only concerned with one number: what are you going to pay?
His costs are immaterial. The facts are that if this is the only guy who
installs tanks and he's doing a reasonable business, you will pay his rate or he
won't do the work.

On the other hand, if there are competitors around that can do the same job
cheaper, hire them.