Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Mercury Vapor lamps

On Feb 18, 12:21*am, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:04:57 -0800 (PST), ransley

wrote:
On Feb 15, 8:49*am, terry wrote:
On Feb 15, 11:20*am, ransley wrote:

I have 100w Mercury Vapour fixtures, can I put in a 50w MV bulb, I want
to save a bit on my electric bill.

Above question reads " ....... 100w Mercury Vapour fixtures ..." but
then reads "can I put in a 50w MV bulb" i.e. single bulb. So not sure
if there is one 'fixture'; or a number of 'fixtures'.

However: Per fixtu

a) At 10 cents per k.watt hour you will save 0.5 cents for each hour
the lamp is on.

b) At 20 cents per k.watt hour you will save 1.0 cent per hour lamp is
on.

So if lamp is on every night for say 10 hours;

a) 365 x 10 x 0.5 = 1825 cents or $18.25 saving per per year.

b) $36.50 per year

If lamp is only on occasionally the saving will be much smaller.

PS. This question sounds a little phishy! Was this a troll???????????

Note: Is ransley .......@yaoo *etc. * not a frequent (and
knowledgeable?) contributor to this forum?

Troll? No ive cut electricity usage in every building I run 50-60% by
use of Cfls, different location of Photosensors and timers on
equipment. I am 14.25 kwh and going up again, I know of no area that
is in fact .10c kwh. 100w 24x7 for me costs about 10$ a month. 50w =
about 5 a month. At 12hrs a day I will save 2.5$ a month. Since I need
a new bulb anyway its adds up in commercial use when you have alot of
MV lights outside. With a building, waste and my profit is paying the
utility co. 30$ will get me a new Cfl and fixture and save me over the
years. Its the small things you do that add up to save on utilities.

There are certain people on usenet that label everyone a troll. *Best
thing is to just killfile them.

Of course you're going to save money, and dollar saved is a dollar
earned. *I dont think you can do this without changing the ballast or
the whole fixture. *You'll have to look up the specs for your fixture.
Any light that uses a ballast tends to only work for specific bulbs,
even florescents.

On the other hand, the common yard lights on farms use 170w bulbs (if
I remember correctly). *They now sell Compact Florescent bulbs for
these. *The bulbs are twice the cost of a Mercury Vapor, but they only
consume 30 to 40 watts from waht I recall. *I s3eriously considered
buying one the last time I had to replace the bulb, but I hesitated
because I live in the north and it gets very cold in winter. *On the
coldest days, the CFL bulbs in my barn did not light at all. *Maybe
these yard light types are better at handling cold, but I'd like to
find out before I spend the money, not to mention I have to always
hire someone to change the bulb because I can not tolerate going that
high on a ladder.

These are supposed to be made to screw directly into the fixture.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who tried one of these. *Did they
work in cold weather?

LM- Hide quoted text -

Ive had good luck with HD brand Invision, and they have a 7 yr
warranty, so I might have and endless replacement supply free. I have
about 70 HD cfl bulbs in use 2 years with maybe 3 burnouts , 20 on
photocell full time. I am refering to 9-13w cfl and 15-22w cfl floods,
all light at -10f but the floods take about 10 min at -10f to be full
bright so forget the motion sensor with the floods. What was barn
Voltage when it didnt fire? I am 117-120v. Often I get the HD 9w cfl
at about 1$ each because of Com Ed subsidies through HD. Popular
Mechanics magazine rated HD Invision Soft White in the green pack as
good or better than incandesant in skin color rendition. Its an old
article in the home section. With HDs 7yr warranty, try em, and make a
copy of the reciept so you are covered.