Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger R Roger R is offline

Default Crack stitching

wrote in message

You can bond bars in to restore the integrity of the wall, but really
its not going to stop the building moving in future. The wall will
simply crack somewhere else.

Settlement or subsidence?
Settlement being a one time thing shortly after building.
But is there really any such thing as settlement?
I have no special knowledge but guess that there only subsidence.
Subsidence being an ongoing thing. e.g. the leaning tower at Pisa.

My anecdote refers to the subsidence of an extension to my block built
garage. The subsidence was under the far end wall causing the whole
extention to tip away from the original structure leaving a tapering
vertical crack of up to an inch at roof level on both sides. The crack had
occurred at the join of the original and extension. On one side there was a
door opening and on the other a window opening with only a few courses of
block work, so there was virtually no keying in of the extension blockwork
to the original structure.

I tried to repair/solve the problem by replacing the broken blocks and
reducing the opening on the side with the window. It did not crack there
again, but after six months a new crack from floor to roof appeared a couple
of meters further along the garage wall, breaking the concrete blocks in
half at that location.

The subsidence could not be restrained by attempting to support the
subsiding part by keying it into the existing sound structure, the weight of
the extension was just too great for the strength of concrete blocks.
Demolition and rebuild of the garage with sounder foundations would appear
to be the only effective solution.

My garage is quite different to your building, but the experience would seem
to agree with meow222, that the cracks may simply transfere to a weaker
point somewhere else.
Note that I am not a structural engineer or a builder.