Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood burning pollutin

Watch for emissions standards from EPA within a year or so.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George" wrote in message
The new wood issue in my area is the outside hot water
boilers.
According to my friend who just installed one before winter
there are 3
common manufacturers. Two of them produce big box quality
cheepo units
that don't have firebrick and basically the wood burns right
on the
water jacket. The problem with this is that the cold jacket
makes for
really poor burning. Also they regulate it using only a
damper. So when
the house calls for heat the damper opens followed by lots
of smoldering
and the unit emits huge quantities of acrid, stinky smoke.
There are a
couple people who have the big box quality units not far
from me and on
some days it looks like fog from the ocean has rolled in
only we aren't
near the ocean.

My friend bought a unit that has firebrick and also a fan
forced draft.
The firebrick allows for more uniform burning and the fan
forced draft
quickly brings the fire up to temperature. His unit emits
considerably
less smoke.