Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

Default laptop power fault: compaq presario C300EA

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:35:37 -0000, "tg"
wrote:

I have a Compaq laptop Model Presario, service tag C300EA that will not
start. It's this one: http://www.microdevices.lk/images/Laptop.jpg
the motherboard is an IBL30 LA-3324P and they retail for about £125.
ouch
The problem is when I plug a power supply into it and press the on/off
button the power led flashes rapidly for a few seconds and then cuts
out. I then have to wait about a minute before it will light up again.
I've tried three different power supplies, one of them coming from a
battery/voltage converter and all three power supplies produce the same
fault on the laptop so it's not the power supply. It acts the same with
or without a battery fitted. When the power supply is plugged in I did
notice the battery icon flickers all the time with no battery in.
I also connected an amp meter to the power supply and when the power
light does flicker there is virtually no current draw into the laptop.
I split the chassis to take a look and saw that the power socket wires
go straight onto the motherboard. There is no power board or
daughtercard as such..
does anyone have an idea if there's a known component that causes this
problem? or is it a case of new motherboard?
thanks for any pointers.

Perhaps the plague? No, not THAT one, THIS one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Worth eyeballing since you already have the main board exposed.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA