Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Lowering Lathe Speeds With A Rheostadt. OK idea? Bad idea?

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
IIRC you have the 1236? The one with a lever with about 6 detent stops?
If so, you can pull the lever out on the lowest speed and push the lever
down farther. You just have to tie a piece of rope around the lever to
hold it in that position. I can get mine to go pretty slow in that
position

Is that right?
It's because it has that variable pulley that expands and contracts,
right?

Yes

I'm going to try that, as soon as I hit send.
Any idea of the rpm with the rope trick?

I determined all of the speeds by turning the shaft and watching how many
times the motor fan turned for each shaft revolution. IIRC the motor spins
at 1750ish.

I forgot to determine the speed at the lowest rope setting. Be sure to have
the motor running when you adjust to the slow setting using the rope,
obviously.

My lathe has speeds 1,2,3,4,5, and Fast. It would have made just as much
sense had they indicated, Pretty Slow, Not As Slow, Slow, Medium, Faster,
and Fastest.
Anyway, ;~) I calculated, 1=573, 2=860, 3=1251, 4=1529, 5=2293, and Fast
=3058. I'm sure that things were not perfectly aligned when I did this but
I am pretty confident that I am accurate give or take 5%.