Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default What is the Distance from Vanity Top to Medicine Cabinet

"Upscale" wrote in message

"DanG" wrote in message
Yes, there are industry standards for virtually everything.

Yes there are. And I'm sure there's even a standard on how to pee in
straight line, but many of those standards are either useless, wasteful,
or
enacted by someone without a shred of experience or common sense as to how
those standards relate to people. ~ Common sense that can be applied to
the
original vanity topic.

Case in point. I use a wheelchair. There are standards in Canada on the
placement and the angle of grab bars for wheelchair accessible washrooms.
And, that particular standard is ABSOLUTELY USELESS for anyone who doesn't
have some measure of walking ability. Ironically enough, it's the people
who
need a horizontal angle on the grab bars the most that have to deal with
these grab bars that are closer to vertical than horizontal.

Every few months for a number of years, I've written emails and sent snail
mail to the regulating government body about this problem. I've never had
anything back other than a form mail response that they will look into the
problem.

That's my experience.

I hear ya. As someone who has a hearing loss, I can relate. In the world of
telephones, televison, etc., there is a huge amount of regulation that is
essentially nonsensical. None of it is based on my actual needs. Indeed, the
way that the flat panel displays are made these days, some simple
modifications would make it a 1,000% better for me. But nobody cares
because "regulations" are in place. Since these "regulations" exist, my
needs are supposedly being met.

Interestingly enough, It is easier to plug headphones into an old CRT TV
than the new digital TV's. Apparently they are not required on the new
TV's. Or maybe headphone jacks are not sexy anymore. Also, why are all the
controls small and invisible?

And as for wheelchair types of construction, I have worked on a couple
projects with others. And what I did is talk to the person who was going to
actually use what we built. And built it to their specifications. I didn't
give a rip about regulations. Just taking care of somebody's needs.