Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg M[_2_] Greg M[_2_] is offline

Default Digital Protractor vs Angle Guage and which brand

Morris Dovey wrote:
coloradotrout wrote:

A year ago I nearly bought the "digital angle guage" (square box that
shows relative angles), but now the protractor models seems to have
more uses (horizontally on miter saw), and comparable accuracy.

Any thoughts on the Lee Valley $25 model vs Peachtree or Woodline's
model (Wixey based)?

A couple of years back I bought the MD SmartTool with 48" and 24" frames
and their Magnetic Bracket for about $100. One of the best buys I've
ever made.

When Lee Valley first offered the Digital Angle Gauge for $19.95 I
snapped one up. I liked it so well I bought two more (and gave one to my
BIL for his birthday) before stock ran out. It's been another of my best
buys.

They do very different jobs. A protractor won't (readily) get you to
level, and the level won't tell you much about the angle of your saw
blade (unless the saw table is perfectly leveled, which mine probably
won't ever be).

I don't own either, but can't you zero out an angle gauge so your saw
doesn't have to be level? Set it on the saw table, zero, put in on the
saw blade and now you've got your blade angle? That seems like a obvious
feature it should have.

Greg M