Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Delta Scroll Saw Hold Down-work tends to jump

I have an SS350 Delta Scroll Saw. I find that the work tends to jump a
lot with this saw. (of course I am using a new blade properly mounted
and proper for the stock being cut). I assume that this is caused by the
springy nature of the hold down foot? I have bent it a bit to increase
the tension and adjusted the extension, close to the work but I still
find that thin pieces especially, are not held down properly and
frequently jump with the blade. The blade appears to be moving in a
straight line and I don't know of any adjustment required here.
I am just curious if anyone else is having this problem.

Thanks,
Fritz

Be aware, that few experienced scroll sawyers use the hold down and
remove the hold down from their saw. That hold down will actually get in
your way as you gain more and more experience. Just hang in there,
things will get better.

The hold down was added to scroll saws sold in North America by safety
regulations. The scroll is one of the safest woodworking power tools;
yes, a very minor cut is possible, but nothing on the scale of a router's
hunger for mangled flesh.

Phil

I don't consider myself anywhere near being a scroll saw expert, but I
do have a DeWAlt I've been using it for over a year. I removed the
hold down long ago. I keep it nearby but I agree with Phil, that it
just gets in the way. I think I would have given up long ago doing
fret art if I had kept it on.
`Casper