Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Carpet Tack Strip Replacement or Fix?

aemeijers wrote:
Mike Daniska wrote:
Hey everyone,

I became real familiar with carpet tack strips tonight as I have been
researching what sliced my 13 month old's foot last night. We've been
in our house for 3 years now, and I would notice the tacks every once
in a while but I thought it was just something that was perhaps
unfinished or not nailed all the way through - I did not realize they
were there on purpose.

But from all of my research, I can't figure out if these tacks are
supposed to stick up through the carpet so much so that they pose a
hazard to bare feet. I can't believe that this is the case, that I
have to live with sharp tacks poking up through the carpet along its
edges, but I haven't read anything on the net to indicate otherwise.

Are there any solutions, anything I can put down over the carpet tack
trip? Or maybe thicker carpet would be the solution? Anything that can
keep my 13 month old from accidentally cutting herself again?

Thanks!

Mike

BFH, and pound the crap out of it, at an angle toward the wall. That
will reduce, but not eliminate, the chance of little feet and hands
getting nicked. Thicker carpet (or better yet, replace the carpet with
wood) is the real solution. Lotsa stuff lives in carpet, remember, even
freshly vacuumed.

--
aem sends...

During toddler years, I would rather have carpet than wood, considering
all the times little ones are likely to fall. A little stick from a
tack is probably less risky that a knock on the head or broken teeth; BTDT.