Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_2_] Doctor Drivel[_2_] is offline

Default water meter - saving water

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I've just had a water meter installed. Hopefully it will save on the
normal bill of about 580 pounds a year. What sort of things can I do to
cut costs as much as possible?
I have four rain barrels, although I'm a bit worried about the need to
top up the a small pond we have, in the summer.
I do have a sprinkler and a hose so will try and not use the sprinkler if
possible.
Is it worth putting something in the cisterns of the toilets?

Janet

The bills drop. If you want really low bills install a rainwater harvesting
and waste water reclaim system - a tank under the garden. Your water
charges drops as well as less water goes down the sewer. It is one of the
few retrofit measures that have a quickish payback. The other is the
GasSaver used on some condensing boilers - 3 to 5 years.