Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default water meter - saving water

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:39:07 -0000, gazz wrote:

i always found that if you faff about reducing the water in a cistern, you
just end up flushing the damn thing twice to make it work properly,
if you have a 1970's 2 gallon flush bog, then maybe get a modern one that
uses half the water to flush, but it's the pan that makes the differance,
fitting a smaller cistern to an old pan results in a poor flushing action,
because the outlet holes and the rim is designed for a certian force of
water to work,

Very true: I had a 1950s pan, designed for a high-level, 2-gallon flush and
had a low-level flush on it.
About twice a week it would need 3 - 5 flushes (no, I'm not boasting!) as
the flushing rate and pattern didn't suit the pan.
I fitted a Vitra with l-l flush and it's never been blocked in 2 years and
also cut ~100li/week from the useage.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.