Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toom Tabard Toom Tabard is offline

Default water meter - saving water

On 16 Feb, 23:35, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I've just had a water meter installed. Hopefully it will save on the
normal bill of about 580 pounds a year. What sort of things can I do to
cut costs as much as possible?
I have four rain barrels, *although I'm a bit worried about the need to
top up the a small pond we have, in the summer.
I do have a sprinkler and a hose so will try and not use the sprinkler
if possible.
Is it worth putting something in the cisterns of the toilets?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I've noticed garden/lawn sprinklers being used in my neighbourhood
after a couple of dry warm days.
I've been gardening for decades, and have a garden, allotment and some
hand in a community garden. Garden at home hasn't needed or had a hose/
sprinkler used on it in 26 years; only young seedling get sprayed with
a watering can, as do things in tubs if they seem to be drying out.
Allotment needs hose maybe 4 or 5 times a season if there has been hot
sun and no rain for a couple of weeks; otherwise seed beds/seedlings
are done with watering can. Community garden has no accessible water
source and even in a three month spring/summer drought several years
back there was little damage to grass or plants.

In short, plants are great survivors - water only if really necessary
in long dry periods, not as a matter of course.
Water young seedlings and individual plants that need it with a
watering can.

Toom