Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Ebay is rigged

"Elliot G" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
Today I watched auctions and bid on auctions for mill accessories.

a) I bid $1250, the winner bid $1275
b) I bid $10, the winner bid $10.50
c) I bid $20, the winner bid $52
d) I bid $100, the winner bid $107
e) I bid $255, the winner bid $260
f) I bid $30, the winner bid $31
g) I bid $10, the winner bid $36
h) I bid $10, the winner bid $11
i) I bid $66, the looser bid $47.98, causing me to pay $48.99

In all 9 auctions, I was the first to bid, or bid several multiples of
the existing high bid.

Most watched auctions end without any bids.

So why in all cases does another bidder appear if I bid?

Could it be the seller has another identity to shill up the price?

I might be misunderstanding here, but have you read all the eBay bidding
instructions?

If someone bids an amount that is a great deal larger than the current
bid, it will only raise the current bid enough to beat the highest
standing bid, and hold the difference in reserve. This allows you to post
the greatest amount you are willing to pay for an item, but still not pay
more the just a small margin more than the SECOND highest bidder.

Take fifteen minutes or so to review the bidding tutorial. Although it
seems strange to a beginner, it's very handy after you get the hang of it.

First lesson to learn on ebay is that no matter what it is, there will be
another one along soon. Figure out what you will pay, and you will probably
eventually get one. Also, learn how to use the advanced search and
completed items to get an idea of what that item commonly sells for. After
that, it is a waiting game. And watch for misspelled items or
underdescribed items. I filled out my clamp collection with "vice grips".
Got a lot of them dirt cheap.

Steve