Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Elliot G Elliot G is offline

Default Ebay is rigged

wrote in message
Today I watched auctions and bid on auctions for mill accessories.

a) I bid $1250, the winner bid $1275
b) I bid $10, the winner bid $10.50
c) I bid $20, the winner bid $52
d) I bid $100, the winner bid $107
e) I bid $255, the winner bid $260
f) I bid $30, the winner bid $31
g) I bid $10, the winner bid $36
h) I bid $10, the winner bid $11
i) I bid $66, the looser bid $47.98, causing me to pay $48.99

In all 9 auctions, I was the first to bid, or bid several multiples of
the existing high bid.

Most watched auctions end without any bids.

So why in all cases does another bidder appear if I bid?

Could it be the seller has another identity to shill up the price?

I might be misunderstanding here, but have you read all the eBay bidding
instructions?

If someone bids an amount that is a great deal larger than the current bid,
it will only raise the current bid enough to beat the highest standing bid,
and hold the difference in reserve. This allows you to post the greatest
amount you are willing to pay for an item, but still not pay more the just a
small margin more than the SECOND highest bidder.

Take fifteen minutes or so to review the bidding tutorial. Although it seems
strange to a beginner, it's very handy after you get the hang of it.