Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default so, can you explain this hydraulic valve to me

On 2009-02-16, Mark Rand wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:40:50 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

there are no bellows - the handle presses on a stainless shaft, there is a
steel bushing that is not part of the valve body, through which the
stainless shaft passes (loose fit) - I didn't see any packing nor any way to
retain the packing. The internal pressure must open the valve, the handle
only presses it closed, nothing pulls it open.

It's not that outrageous. Thermostatic heating radiator valve bodies and
solenoid valve bodies frequently have a similar construction, except that they
have a return spring to close the valve.

And the bellows could well be pointed into the housing, with the
steel bushing only for a guide. The bellows could well also be a spring
which holds the valve either open, or closed, depending on design.

And another look at the saved photo shows a relief notch to
direct any high-pressure leakage at the panel instead of towards the
operator's hand.

And that is one ugly panel that it came from.

I note that the gauge only goes up to 500 PSI (or is it
calibrated in some metric pressure unit instead?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564