Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Doorbell, etc. - Saving $2.50 per month!

In , John Gilmer wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Hi,
My electricity costs 7 cents per KWh locked for 5 years. What if you keep
powering up/down multiple devices and a surge cause a damage. The repair
cost may far exceed the 2.00 per month. If I wanted to save electric
energy my way would be using more efficient devices or minimize the usage
by careful planning ahead.

What? Are you talking about the "surge" when you first power up something?

Could be.

$30/year for the convenience of having everything ready to go rather than
requiring the hunting down of power strips here and there isn't much.

Seems to me that the "standby" power performance is getting better. I say
than only because stuff in "standby" seems to be running cooler.

First time I got a cell phone, maybe 8-9 years ago, the wallwart for
charging it was an iron core one. Since then I had cellphones with
switchmode charging wallwarts that ran cooler and probably consumed about
1 watt, possibly 1.5 watts less electricity apiece.
It appears to me that one major reason behind switchmode cell phone
chargers was that they can be made narrow enough to not block adjacent
outlets on a power strip.

- Don Klipstein )