Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Outlets in a closet?

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
My master bathroom and walk-in closet share a wall, the wall behind
the vanity. I don't know what the original owner was thinking but
above the 36", single-bowl vanity there are 3(!) double outlets. One
is in a 2-gang box with the switch for the light above the sink. The
other two are at the other end of the vanity in their own 2-gang box.
It's overkill and it's ugly.

I know I can't take out the extra outlets and bury the box but I'm
contemplating cutting into the closet wall and just flipping the box
around so that the outlets (or a blank plate) face into the closet
then patching the plaster in the bathroom. Is there any code or
safety issue with this plan? (I know code varies slightly from place
to place. I'm looking for a general answer.) TIA.

Chris

Assuming the outlets are daisy chained together, you may be able to
completely kill the offending outlets from an upstream location. If
necessary, the NEC has no restriction on installing a blanked junction box
in a closet