Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Post Hole Auger

On Feb 13, 3:02*pm, "Freckles" wrote:
This spring I'm going to start a project in my back yard and I will need to
dig about two dozen post holes. The holes will need to be about 8 inches in
diameter and 18 inches deep.

I have seen ads for a manual Post Hole Auger that seems like it would be a
lot easier to use than a post hole digger.

Has anyone ever used one of these augers and if so how would you rate them.

Thanks

Don

I used one of these a couple years ago installing a wood fence.
(Assuming by manual you mean the kind you turn by hand, applying
muscle power to the crosspiece.) I found it much easier to use than
the clamshell type manual post hole diggers. But you may need both
and/or other implements depending on what is in the soil - the auger
does not do well with roots or big rocks. I dug a couple dozen or so
holes this way to 40 inches deep and I am a middle aged pencil-neck
geek. So it's not impossible. But you might want to break it up over
several sessions or do other parts of the project in between, just to
avoid repetitive motion problems. Also, the size of the hole is
determined by the size of the auger, I think 6 inches is pretty
standard. Do you really need 8 inches diameter? If so you might have
to go with something motorized. --H