Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default Doorbell, etc. - Saving $2.50 per month!

There still are very few lamps and fixtures that take advantage of the small
flourescent "tubes". I see some recessed fixtures in commercial buildings
but "civilians" seem to be expected to screw in a CF.

That said, I use there where I can.

I wait with bated breath the arrival of "next generation" of LED lamps.

Present generation are just UV LEDS with flourescent compounds added.
Their base efficiency is about the same as flourescent technology. (As an
aside, high pressure Mercury and Sodium vapor lights are more efficent the
flourescent simply because the internal arc produces visible light.) To
could would be a mix of "pure" colors to produce a pleasing light.

The second problem is that "they" only use resistors to limit the current
the LED draws. The "electronics" of the ones I have see are some filter
caps, some diodes, and a current limiting resister.

But if "they" solve those problems, the LEDs will driving the CFs out of the
market within a year. Yeah, their potential is SO much better.