Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] news@picaxe.us is offline

Default HDD BIOS needs a reset

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:51:41 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

"les" wrote in message
.. .
Hello...
I've been stumped about a method to clear the BIOS on
my HDD to the correct setting.
I don't know how it happened, but somehow my WD800
drive tries to boot, and clatters, then ID's as a WD600
and of course that stops the bootup.
I switched the HDD into another system, and the mis-ID
remains the same. Something has gone awry in the BIOS.
Looking at the jumper bus, I noticed a mysterious jumper
near the slave/master pins, called PM2. I'm wondering if
this is a programming mode, and maybe someone knows
if there is a program that initializes this drive as well.

In have nothing to lose at this point.
I'd appreciate some ideas.

Les

If I had to guess I'd say you have a drive electronics failure. Good luck at
fixing this.. About the only possible solution to this would to be to find
another hdd identical to yours manufactured about the same time and swap the
logic borads. That might work, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. It worked
in the old days, but I get the feeling that HDDs may have changed some since
then.

By the way if you really need the data send it out ot a recovery house. They
can get it back for you.. If not, take the hdd apart and get the really
strong rare earth magnet out of it. Throw the rest away or make some kind of
modern art out it.

Mike

Good luck to you,

Mike

The data recovery houses are VERY expensive. The last time the
company sent a 60GB laptop drive to OnTrack, the price was close to
$2000, plus $5 a platter formedia (CD/DVD) the recovered data was put
on.

For personal use, add a SATA controller card and a large drive to an
old computer and use it for over-the-network backups.

John