Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

Default Musing about the destinations of your writings.

Arch,

To answer your question:

You count rcw more useful and important than periodicals?

Absolutely rcw Is more useful. It's there all the time 24/7/365, you
can ask specific questions - basic or advanced, get the information
you need when you need it, you get a variety of viewpoints both expert
and less so and as you point out the magazines are less than advanced
and cover the same stuff over and over. Even books are of limited use
and very repetative. How many chapters on choosing a lathe, which
tools to use, holding wood does any turner need? Don't get me wrong, I
have a fair number of books, but carefully chosen. I find them in a
book store and examine them carefully for utility. Having looked
through dozens and dozens I saw a lot of repetative filler.

You lack the drive, the need or the ambition to
be viewed as an expert and/or be paid for it?

Nope. I have the drive, need and ambition to be recognised. The
problem is I'm fussy and take my time. Too much so to do production
work of my bowls & boxes. Selling through galleries is out of the
question (at least in my market, in this economy). Instead I offer
individual instruction and sell by word of mouth to collectors. I've
recently started a venture with the maker of a specialized garden
tool. I'm going to be making a special limited edition, signed, dated,
and numbered version of his tool, using his blades, but with exotic
wood handles rather than the molded plastic ones that he uses. He's
putting the special edition on his website along with a link to my
site. I'm hoping that I might get enough "curiosity hits" to generate
a few custom orders. If you feel like it take a look at my site and
let me know what you think of my work. The url is http://www.eskimoblueday.com

Larry

P.S. I always find your posts to be interesting and very often
inspiring. Keep on musing!