Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default auto night sensor light fitting

On 15 Feb, 11:55, Mikeyboy wrote:
Bought one of these from Wilkos yesterday. Idea was, fit it in my hall
light, and it will come on as it goes dark. Good for security and
convenience of the first person home.
I tried it out this morning, and it came on immediately, ven though
its pretty bright daylight, though admittedly it is overcast, I
wouldn't describe it as dark in any sense.
The location is basically next to the front door, which has masses of
glass in it.

Does this suggest that it is only going to turn off in reallt bright
sunshine? That is my "take" on the situation.
Can anyone who know, please advise?
Thanks.

I've got three dusk-to-dawn lights at various places outside our
house. The two which are built into lamps are pretty rubbish in my
view. They turn the light on far too early and off far too late. I'm
talking here about sensors located outside in broad daylight, in one
case pointing upwards towards the southern sky. They only have 7 watt
bulbs in them, so lecky consumption is not a big deal, but the whole
point of the things was to increase security, and outside lights
switched on in daylight says "empty house" to me. The last time I
fitted an outside light I bought one with no sensor and bought a
fairly sophisticated, fully-adjustable sensor unit separately. That
one works fine.

To sum up: (1) built-in light sensors are rubbish, (2) if you put them
indoors they'll probably be on for 23 hours a day, (3) buy a decent
one separately, and (4) why can light manufacturers make sensors which
come on at a sensible time?

Cheers!

Martin