Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Size of a tool (lathe!)

On 2009-02-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]
O.K. Generally, if I need more than about two or three, I find
it worthwhile to order the standard box size from MSC -- for perhaps
double what Home Despot would ask for the three. :-)

I've cleaned up so many labs and tossed the used hardware in a box
rather than the trash that I rarely need to buy any.
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...65927027495682

The first place I worked had a rule that hardware NEVER went back into
the bins so that no damaged screws would ship in the product.
I have far too much to sort completely and I've found that binning by
thread size and material is enough. There's one drawer for 1/4-20,
another for 1/4-28 and a third for stainless + brass + aluminum. When
I need some I dump the drawer in a tray to spread them out, pick out
one with a ruler and the rest by matching the first.

O.K. Hmm ... a half-round at the *top*? What for? Normally
round tools are held against the bottom groove by the screws, and the
top does not matter -- unless this is allowing a slightly larger round
shank to fit.
Hmm ... looking at the web site photos, I see that the current
ones for round shanks are full V bottom, with the top at an angle
matching the corresponding slope of the bottom V.

Those small half-round grooves are in the vertical wall of the Swiss
turning holder slot for inside corner clearance, like the groove at
the bottom of a vee block. The flat sides of the cutters formed the
top and bottom of the slot. The truncated shape of the half-round
suggests that the sides of the cutters were resharpened, making the
slot smaller.

Okra? In N.H.? The Velcro of the vegetable world? I remember
my grandparents growing it in South Texas, but nothing even up here.
And I usually associate it with Cajun cooking.

He coated sliced okra with corn meal and fried it, and it was
delicious. I can't make the corn meal stay on, and know enough about
benzpyrenes that I don't fry as hot as he did. Mine's edible, maybe.

O.K. Große (Grosse is I believe a valid alternate spelling), so
that would certainly map to "size".
Note "Home", "OK" and "Made in Germany", their language is turning
into Denglisch.
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,411555,00.html

Also note "System MultiFix" and "MultiFix-Systems"
I also wonder about the "Preis:" and "Netto:" entries on the
individual size's pages. Hmm ... and "Secure Protocol", and an "OK"
button when you have filled out a search term.
For that matter -- the name of the vendor "top-maschinen.de"

MultiFix is Swiss, another confederation of several languages. They
speak their own versions of French, German and something resembling
Italian.

The Daimler HighTechReport I subscribe to in German is a great example
of English creeping in.
http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-114...0-0-0-0-0.html

For the third block down, the magazine explains "jam" with a piece on
Minton's Playhouse in 1940s Harlem.

The Saxons in "Anglo-Saxon" were north Germans whom the Britons
stupidly hired as mercenaries to fight off the Picts (Scots) after
Rome pulled out to concentrate on the Goths and Huns. The Saxons
viewed the Brits as sheeple and soon they and their allies were a
bigger problem than the Picts. King Arthur apparently made his name by
defeating them at Badon Hill, but eventually the Saxons forced the
Britons/Celts to retreat into Wales and Ireland and became the English
(Anglisch). Farmer and peasant Olde English developed partly from
Saxon German and the educated words came from French with the Norman
Conquest. Legal phrases may still use both, as in Last Will and
Testament. So similar words could have passed either way, or entered
both languages from French, Latin or Greek. Many of the words for farm
animals etc are still very close in sound if not spelling, like kuh =
cow, hund = hound, katz = cat, maus = mouse, fuchs = fox.

A bent Armstrong holder does the same thing if
you grind the bit properly.
But you aren't going to fit a bent Armstrong into one of those
holders. :-)
DoN.

There is an Armstrong series that is 3/4" high and fits fine.

What size bits does it use? 3/16"? 1/8"?

I have one 3/16" Armstrong and three 1/4" J. H. Williams No.0, right,
straight and left. The 1/4" bits will survive a cut deep enough to
stall the lathe as long as they don't extend any more than necessary
from the holder.

Jim Wilkins