Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Size of a tool (lathe!)

On 2009-02-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On 2009-02-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

O.K. I presume that you went to MSC or someone else for the
screws and bought a hundred or a gross (whatever they come in) to have
plenty of spares.

I found a small package of them in an auto parts store.

O.K. Generally, if I need more than about two or three, I find
it worthwhile to order the standard box size from MSC -- for perhaps
double what Home Despot would ask for the three. :-)

Oddly the slot is 13/16" high (0.812) instead of an even metric
number. I had to mill down most of my bit holders.

Hmm ... probably 20 mm plus a little clearance for the burrs
raised by the clamp screws in shanks which are a bit too soft. ...

On closer examination the size may be an accident of regrinding the
slot cutters. The half-round clearance grooves at the top and bottom
of the slot stop short of tangential on their outer edges. The Chinese
holders have square-cornered slots 20.8mm high.

O.K. Hmm ... a half-round at the *top*? What for? Normally
round tools are held against the bottom groove by the screws, and the
top does not matter -- unless this is allowing a slightly larger round
shank to fit.

Hmm ... looking at the web site photos, I see that the current
ones for round shanks are full V bottom, with the top at an angle
matching the corresponding slope of the bottom V.

Later I bought one more Swiss turning holder from Enco for $100 (ouch!) and
recently a few Chinese ones Tools4cheap special-ordered for me for $50
each, back when I had a paycheck.

Yep -- "gainfully unemployed" (retired) doesn't bring in the
same money.

Or require anywhere near the same expenditures. I have time to cook
meals on the wood stove instead of buying and microwaving prepared
ones. As an R&D lab tech or test engineer I was unemployed during
every recession so I've known how to live cheaply but adequately for a
long time and didn't make expensive commitments like car loans or
cable TV during the good times. My father grew up a dirt poor farm boy
in the southern mountains and although he became very successful he
never forgot the Depression or how to live simply off the land. He
could grow okra and peaches in the poor climate and soil of central
NH.

Okra? In N.H.? The Velcro of the vegetable world? I remember
my grandparents growing it in South Texas, but nothing even up here.
And I usually associate it with Cajun cooking.

I haven't seen another second-hand A
size Multifix holder in ~15 years of poking through machinery junk
piles. The few times I looked on Ebay they were only offered in
Europe.

A size is for what range of lathe sizes?

Their size designations are roughly similar to Aloris, with a smaller
Aa for mini lathes.
http://www.top-maschinen.de/spannwer...lter/index.htm

The size follows the word that looks like GroBe.

O.K. Große (Grosse is I believe a valid alternate spelling), so
that would certainly map to "size".

That photo shows two turning holders, one boring and one cutoff, so I
did buy a complete set. They claim change-precise-ish-ness under 0.01
mm which it really does hold if I brush ALL the chips off the locating
splines.

Always the problem. The Aloris style can be pretty self-wiping
as long as you have the wedge style, and hold the front edge in contact
as you slide it on. Chips on the wedge side don't affect the indexing,
though it certainly would with the piston style. :-)

Note "Home", "OK" and "Made in Germany", their language is turning
into Denglisch.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,411555,00.html

Also note "System MultiFix" and "MultiFix-Systems"

I also wonder about the "Preis:" and "Netto:" entries on the
individual size's pages. Hmm ... and "Secure Protocol", and an "OK"
button when you have filled out a search term.

For that matter -- the name of the vendor "top-maschinen.de"

Actually -- they have another advantage to the manufacturer,
they bring in more money than even the genuine Aloris ones. :-)

Yes, and I don't think they are worth it. The Chinese copy seems OK
but it's still quite expensive. I'm not pushing them, just passing on
what I know. I have used a Dorian toolpost on a CNC lathe and would be
very happy to own one of those instead.

O.K. That means that the Aloris should be as good. And I know
that I simply have extra tool holders with inserts at different angles,
instead of rotating the toolpost to get a specific angle. (That makes
parting and threading easier, because I *know* that the toolpost is
square.

A bent Armstrong holder does the same thing if
you grind the bit properly.

But you aren't going to fit a bent Armstrong into one of those
holders. :-)
DoN.

There is an Armstrong series that is 3/4" high and fits fine.

What size bits does it use? 3/16"? 1/8"?

I have
several bent holders that fit, most by J. H. Williams. The cheap Enco
imports aren't too bad. The ones I bought had to be milled on the
bottom to adjust the bit height and then on the top to fit the slot.
Their dog-point screws haven't mushroomed yet.

O.K.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564