Posted to alt.home.repair
Perry525[_2_] Perry525[_2_] is offline

Default Septic tank cover

Perry525 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-359510-.htm
:

Perry
-------------------------------------
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gma wrote:

I just had my septic tank pumped and when they took the lid off it
cracked in three pieces. They put two of the pieces back on and told
me I would have to take care of it. The lid is 23" square on top
and
tapered. I can not find one and have two choices. Either make a form
and pour a new one, or make a cover out of wolmanized wood larger than
the the hold and wrap it in 6 mill poly. Just wondering what the
opinions are of making one out of wood and setting it on top. I would
make it out of tong & grove 2 x 6 treated wood and wrap it in
plastic. Will this work and be OK?

Thanks,

When thinking about a new lid, give consideration to, checking how full
the tank is and when it will next require emptying and how easy it is to
find and move.
Being able to check the height of the solids within the tank and therefore
if it needs emptying this year or in ten years time is always handy and it
saves money and trouble. (You only pay to empty it -when it really needs
to be emptied and before it backs up and causes trouble.)
Have a ten foot pole handy that you can poke through the crust and down
through the water and feel the top of the solids, it feels spongy.
When the solids are within 12 inches of the bottom of the outlet "T" only
then does the tank need to be emptied.
If you check the tank twice a year, once in the spring and again in late
summer, you will see that the tank fills during the winter and during the
summer when the microbes are more active with the summer heat, it goes
down.
The anaerobic process works best at 97f, so a tank that is in the full
summer sun, fills slower than one that's in the shade.
Placing a green house over the septic tank to help keep it as warm as
possible all year round is a good idea.