Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do water heaters work?

On Feb 15, 7:16*am, Phil Again wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:07:09 -0800, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I would like to learn how the water flows in a hot water heater. Is
there a description somewhere on the web. I'm thinking of an old
fashioned cast iron radiator or a modern runtal, such as this one:

http://www.eqwip.com/images/upload/items/solea.jpg

I'm basically puzzled how the water enters on the bottom left, leaves on
the bottom right and at the same is able to reach the top.

Thanks

Are you asking about whole home heating using a hot water boiler using an
electric circulating pump with piping for 180 degree (F) water and cold
water return?

Are you asking about a whole home heat system that uses a boiler with
steam heat and gravity cold water return to the boiler during "off" cycle
of the steam heat?

Your link looks like it could just be using potable (drinking) hot faucet
water to warm the towels. *The hot water for your shower passes through
the towel warmer warming your towels (and cooling your shower water.) *It
is just plumbing water in, water out. *Complex "S" pattern of piping
makes the device circulate the water (water pressure and flow from city)
in, up, around and back down. *The heat transfer baffles just get warm
from your shower water, cooling the water, and then the heat transfer
baffles warm your towel. *

Just a guess, the labor cost for running the piping to that linked device
has *GOT* to cost more than those towel warmers by themselves.

(left wing rant....)
If I knew who to send it to, I would submit a nomination of that device
for the most un-"Green" energy waster and anti-energy conservation device
for the year award. If this towel warmer really does use shower hot water
to heat towels, this would be just flaunting your disrespect for energy
conservation and your part in making an effort to reduce greenhouse
gases. *May your children grow up to be environmental warriors who
publicly denounce you (after your kids are properly indoctrinated and
rote taught the catechism of environmentalism in the public schools of
course.)

{hee, hee, hee, the flame wars have begun... Anyone up to starting a
popcorn and peanuts concession for the lurkers? *I know I shouldn't taunt
'em, but it is so easy to get them anymore. }

No flame wars. I'd just point out that normally you'd only want the
towels heated in the winter. In which case, the heat is not lost, it
goes to heating the house.. And all the ones I've seen that use hot
water, appear to use water in the heating system loop. So, it's more
like having a additonal small radiator or putting your towels on the
existing one, etc.