Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default How do water heaters work?

"Phil Again" wrote in message
Are you asking about whole home heating using a hot water boiler using an
electric circulating pump with piping for 180 degree (F) water and cold
water return?

I think he is asking about a standar radiator. Both inlet and outlet are on
the bottom but yet they heat evenly across the entire radiator. I've never
disected one so I don't know if there are baffles inside.

(left wing rant....)
If I knew who to send it to, I would submit a nomination of that device
for the most un-"Green" energy waster and anti-energy conservation device
for the year award. If this towel warmer really does use shower hot water
to heat towels, this would be just flaunting your disrespect for energy
conservation and your part in making an effort to reduce greenhouse
gases. May your children grow up to be environmental warriors who
publicly denounce you (after your kids are properly indoctrinated and
rote taught the catechism of environmentalism in the public schools of
course.)

(right wing reply)
Rather than go off on a silly rant, it makes much more sense to find out how
things work and why. In Europe especailly, those towel warmers you see as
wasteful are the only source of heat in the bathrhoom. They are only on
when the house boiler is heated the house. They are very utilitarian and
sensible as they take a necessity and at no additonal cost or energy and
make it into a luxury.

Many years ago when radiators were common, I know of people that would put
ther towels on them, or even the pants they wre going to wear the next
morning. This just limits it to towels, but the same idea. Smart eh?

{hee, hee, hee, the flame wars have begun... Anyone up to starting a
popcorn and peanuts concession for the lurkers? I know I shouldn't taunt
'em, but it is so easy to get them anymore. }

And so silly now that you know the facts.