Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default auto night sensor light fitting

Mikeyboy wrote:
Bought one of these from Wilkos yesterday. Idea was, fit it in my hall
light, and it will come on as it goes dark. Good for security and
convenience of the first person home.
I tried it out this morning, and it came on immediately, ven though
its pretty bright daylight, though admittedly it is overcast, I
wouldn't describe it as dark in any sense.
The location is basically next to the front door, which has masses of
glass in it.

Does this suggest that it is only going to turn off in reallt bright
sunshine? That is my "take" on the situation.
Can anyone who know, please advise?

Are you talking about a device that fits between the bulb and the socket?

If so, you may find that it does not have any adjustment --- unlike
external PIR-switched lights.

In the case of the one I have (turns on when 'dark' and a sound is
made), it is in the hall about one metre from a door with a lot of glass
and facing south. In winter 'it thinks' it is dark for most of the day
-- at times when you would never think of switching on a light.

There will be a light sensor somewhere; it may be possible to arrange
that it faces the door.

Best regards,

Jon C.