Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Size of a tool (lathe!)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:00:00 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:
snip
Looking at it I wonder if the slot was milled in the threaded part of the
bolt could one not use a nut or two to adjust the height of the tool?

snip
Check the back issues of the "Home Shop Machinist" or
"Machinist's Workshop" for exactly this project. IIRC this was
called a Swiss type holder.
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/

You might want to take a look at the KRF "omnipost" plans/kits.
You can make these with only a lathe [with milling attachment]
and a hacksaw. I made these and they work fine. You may want to
buy the notched index plate that goes under the tool post as this
can be difficult to make, but these are not expensive.
http://www.krfcompany.com/

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: