Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Size of a tool (lathe!)

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
snip---

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell the rocker toolpost, because the Aloris
and similar types have more advantages, and they're handier. But I
disagree with those who say the rocker toolpost is hopeless. A lot of
people have just never used one enough to be comfortable with them.

Fact is, it has little to do with comfort. A rocker tool post does not
allow for production machining. They are totally worthless for that
purpose, which is why they are not found in industry.

Well, if you're doing production turning in industry, a recreational crafts
newsgroup may not be the best place to ask about toolposts. d8-)

They are flexible in that you can achieve pretty much any angle of approach
to the job, but you can't mark dials and make time with them. I would
avoid a rock toolpost at almost any cost, assuming I had intentions of
making more than one of anything.

Harold

I'll remember that the next time I do a production run in my basement.

--
Ed Huntress