Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull Nick Hull is offline

Default Post Hole Auger

In article ,
wrote:

My farm tractor is not equipped for an auger, and tractor mounted
augers are very costly. The last time I needed a series of holes, I
just hired a neighbor who has a 10" auger on his tractor. That's so
easy. Park tractor, lower auger, move tractor slightly to get auger
precisely over hole, and start the auger spinning. It needs to be
lifted a few times to lift out the excess dirt. It would bust out
smaller rocks and tear up roots easily. I could see it having a
problem with large rocks, but we did not hit any.
We dug about 20 three foot deep holes in about 2 hours.

A PTO auger on a tractor is the way to go, they are not that expensive
and will last forever