Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Nail gun for outside use?

Chuck wrote:
Cj wrote:

You've gotten some really bad advice, you never use galvanized with
cedar.

The zinc in galvanized nails reacts chemically with cedar and redwood.
Nail manufacturers recommend that you go with aluminum or stainless
steel fasteners when you're using either of these woods.

Look it up.

The siding that I have removed has been on the house since 1972. The
builder used galvanized nails only. All were 2 1/2 inches long and I saw
no reaction between the nails and the cedar.
Give me a reference to the info you have. Thanks...

Here's a pretty good description of the process of the various
galvanizing processes. Part of the problem is there's too much
similarity between the names it doesn't sound as though there should be
much difference in the results. Unfortunately, there is a significant
difference in how well/long they will last.

My personal opinion is that even the hot-dipped galvanized pneumatic
nails don't have the "stay power" of hand nails because they have to
ensure they are of more uniform size and smoothness in order to drive
w/o jamming the nailer excessively. Hence, while I have no hard data,
my feeling is the pneumatic-galvanized don't have the equivalent coating
of good quality loose nails.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/063_Rustproof_Wood_Siding_Nails.shtml

Be particularly wary of pneumatic nails galvanizing process if you go
that route -- many of them are only electroplate, especially be certain
to use a "name" brand, not some Harbor Freight or other no-name generic.

Here's a link to a page for Bostitch fasteners -- I'd double-check the
actual Bostitch catalog to make absolutely I had the correct part number
before ordering for any nailer (of course, you'll have to order
fasteners compatible w/ the particular nailer you choose). I posted
this link because it shows there's only about a 20% premium for SS which
isn't that much of a premium for near certainty.

http://www.bostonindustrial.com/wicosina.html