Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_3_] Chuck[_3_] is offline

Default Nail gun for outside use?

HeyBub wrote:
Cj wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
I need to replace some of my house outside paneling that is cedar
(1'x9 1/4"x various lengths). I was thinking of using wood screws
because some of the new boards are cupped and the screws will pull
the boards up tight to the wall.
Can I use my nail gun? If so, are there any nails that would hold
the panel tight against the wall? Also can I get galvenized or non
rust nails?
I have over 100 panels to repair or replace so a nail gun sure would
be faster.
Any ideas? Thanks CB

You've gotten some really bad advice, you never use galvanized with
cedar.
The zinc in galvanized nails reacts chemically with cedar and
redwood. Nail manufacturers recommend that you go with aluminum or
stainless steel fasteners when you're using either of these woods.

Look it up.

Like here?

Nails
Hot-dipped galvanized, aluminum and stainless steel nails are all
corrosion-resistant and all can be used to nail Western Red Cedar. Other
types of nails, such as electroplated, are not recommended. They can rust
and disintegrate and react adversely with the natural preservative oils
present in cedar, resulting in stains and streaks.

http://www.wrcla.org/cedarspecs/ceda.../fasteners.asp

Thank you. Chuck