Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Propane and electric pump heat questions

On Feb 13, 4:26*pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Feb 13, 8:01 am, Bubba wrote:

Hank,
Do me a favor. Go buy, rent or borrow an Amprobe. Its a cute little
device that simply clamps around an electric line and measures the
amount of amps running through a wire.
Put it on the wire going to your compressor (Common or Run) wire and
turn the heat pump on when it is, lets say around 55 degrees outside.
Now, try it another day when it is maybe 20 degrees outside.
Come back when you can intelligently explain to me why the amperage
reading is significantly lower when it is cold outside.
Bubba
Me really hates training the untrainable ones-

First: I don't have a heat pump in the house I am in now, so checking
the amps is impossible for me to do.

Second: I am not a HVAC installer, repairman, engineer or salesman.

Third: I have been a user of heat pumps and my impression as a "user"
is stated in one of my previous posts. I'll say it again, I don't like
them.

Fourth: I think we MAY be arguing apples and oranges and you mis-
understood (or I didn't explain it correctly) my original comments.

Fifth: ( Trying to explain my point again, altho most understood) I
was saying the word "efficiency" and maybe I should have said
"effectiveness" in regards to COST.

Sixth: You cannot convince me that a heat pump can save me money below
35 degrees in Ohio. I am up the road from you in Columbus, so I know
the weather.

Seventh: I appogize for *any mis-understanding on my part.

Eighth: I got nuthin' for 8.

Hank

Hank
One thought from a disaster preparedness perspective. depending on
which of the Rinnai direct vent gas heaters was installed they may run
without any electricity at all. So if you do buy the house don't be
too quick to remove those individual direct vent heaters even if you
do put in oil or propane fired heat. They not only allow you to run
the whole house cooler and just warm up the spaces you happen to be
using but they also make a great source of emergency heat following a
blizzard or ice storm induced large area power outage. The Rainnai
folks used to make a kit that allowed you to install one of their
heaters through a double hung window. If you live in an area that
gets deadly cold and you have elderly folks or small children in the
family that makes an excellent emergency heat source, albeit a rather
pricey one. Small children, the elderly, and anyone with a
respiratory impairment should not be exposed to the fumes from
unvented combustion heaters. Even the super improved newer models are
too hard on such folks.

I'm a firefighter by avocation and the fire chief assigned me to the
communities Emergency Preparedness Committee so I've had to study up
on these issues. We invest a lot of effort in trying to provide the
public with the information that they need to get by at home during
emergencies. The operation of special needs shelters is a major
challenge to disaster response resources. Hospital Emergency
Departments are not a good substitute for special needs shelters. The
type of emergency heat that people use has a major effect on how many
runs the ambulance is going to make while chained up. Dumping the
brittle patients in the Hospital Emergency Department because they
can't tolerate the emergency heater that their family is using does
not make friends of the ED staff that we will still have to live with
on a daily basis after the power comes back on.

--
Tom Horne