Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior Door Knob Replacement Question

On 2/13/2009 1:52 PM Jeffy3 spake thus:

On Feb 13, 4:44 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Jeffy3" wrote in message

Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in
our house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. Our
house is over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of
just a small half moon shape, or half circle shape, that the
spindle went through and then there were the two small round
holes for the screws to connect the two sides of the knob.
Replacing them 10 years ago was easy. Now, recently I had to
replace another one and I went to two different stores and it
seems the standard now is the hole in the door is a large couple
inch circle. Am I right that this is the new standard? Or does
anyone know if I can still get the doorknobs that fit the smaller
half- moon door hole?

Sounds like old mortise style locks.

The last time I needed one, believe it or not, K-mart of all places stocked
the glass knobs. I have also seen the glass ones at Lowes.

If you are looking for the brass plated ones I surmise that Google is your
best friend.

A salvage yard might yield some real brass ones that you could shine up.

I'm not sure what you mean. I wasn't talking anything about the locks.

So what exactly do you need--the entire lock? Or just the knobs? Not
clear from your post.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair