Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeffy3 Jeffy3 is offline

Default Interior Door Knob Replacement Question

On Feb 13, 4:44*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Jeffy3" wrote in message

Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in our
house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. *Our house is
over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of just a small
half
moon shape, or half circle shape, that the spindle went through and
then there were the two small round holes for the screws to connect
the two sides of the knob. Replacing them 10 years ago was easy. Now,
recently I had to replace another one and I went to two
different stores and it seems the standard now is the hole in the
door
is a large couple inch circle. *Am I right that this is the new
standard? Or does
anyone know if I can still get the doorknobs that fit the smaller
half-
moon door hole?

Sounds like old mortise style locks.

The last time I needed one, believe it or not, K-mart of all places stocked
the glass knobs. *I have also seen the glass ones at Lowes.

If you are looking for the brass *plated ones I surmise that Google is your
best friend.

A salvage yard might yield some real brass ones that you could shine up.

--
Colbyt
Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure what you mean. I wasn't talking anything about the locks.