Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Roof Overhang Above A Patio Door

wrote:

We have an exposed to weather sliding glass door on back of home. We
originally bought a cheaper Home Depot awning to protect it from
weather and provide a little shade. This awning didnt last long with
snow and weather, as you can see from the picture's below ;^)

I would like to replace it with a wood and shingle one but would
really like to have some basic plans. Im pretty handy, having build a
nice shed this past year, but it had plans. Im guessing an overhang,
no matter how small, can be tricky. Any plans out there or tips?

Want it to replicate the awning specs which were pretty basic:

About 9 ft wide, hanging out 40" and dropping about 10" overt han 40"
overhang.

Posted this at another forum with no results but the pictures are
the

http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/roof-...io-door-37888/

I'm no construction mavin, but I'd be suprised if you could attach to
the house any solid structure that large which could safely hold even
its own weight (leave alone the snow) without using some support posts
near the outboard ends.

Unless maybe you tore the house apart and installed some long girders
sticking out from the inside. (Just kidding...)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)