C Carruth

Default "facings" question

If this is a repeat post, sorry...my service went down and I am not sure the
original made...

I am making the base for a workbench, and am using douglas fur 4x4x8 posts
for the legs. (Stringers will be dimensioned red oak. Carcass will be 2/3"
red oak plywood.) However, even with the fur F4S, it is a stark contrast to
the red oak. My plan is to rip some thin oak veneers for facings from
existing inventory, use a benchtop planer to get it down to 1/4", and glue
them on the fur posts. I will use a roundover bit on the facings for
appearance sakes. To use the planer, I will need to use a sled.

Q: Has anyone actually used a sled to plan thin strips like this? Do the
strips slide around? Do I need to use some carpet tape to secure them to the
sled? Can I simply use 3/4' cabinet plywood for the sled? Etc, etc, etc..

Please respond ASAP as I would like to try this tomorrow..