Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
Bill Wright Bill Wright is offline

Default examples of digital rip-off

"Clem Dye" wrote in message
om...
Bill Wright wrote:

Bill, here's a thought: what about recycling STBs and what have you? I
seem to amass boxen that I end-up stowing somewhere, where all they do is
sleep cosily in their packing. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this
position, having surplus kit that could benefit the elderly/less fortunate
during the DSO, although I suppose what you have in mind isn't a charity.
However, I suspect that there's some HMG edict that stops people passing
on electrical kit on the grounds of safety issues.

Off the top of my head I'd say the best thing to do was test any unwanted
kit, make sure the correct fuse is fitted, check the mains lead is intact,
then take it to the Church Fayre or similar. Help the Aged etc might have
systems for dealing with s/h electronics, or they might not.

Alternatively, place the item directly. Find a deserving case. I don't think
the cost of the gear is usually an issue, it's getting it installed without
getting ripped off.

Bill