Morgans

Default Scarf joint or butt joint your choice on crown molding?

"Kevin L. Bowling" wrote in message
Scarf joint sounds a little extreme. I always just cut a 45 and that gives
me plenty gluing surface. Been running crown for 21 years and never been
called back for a shrunken piece of trim. Crown or otherwise.
Check out this scarf joint:
http://www.seasidesmallcraft.com/stepscrf.htm
I didn't even know what a scarf joint was. Had to do an internet search.
Apparently used in boat building to join two or more sheets of plywwood
lengthwise. Supposed to use at least an 8:1 ratio. You could do a butt

joint
using a small piece of wood glued to the back and have as much gluing
surface as you want.

Kevin

A 45 in molding is still a scarf. It is all relative. In boatbuilding 8-1
is a scarf. In plane building, it is 12-1, or more.
--
Jim in NC