Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior Door Knob Replacement Question

On 2/13/2009 10:48 AM Jeffy3 spake thus:

Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in our
house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. Our house is
over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of just a small
half moon shape, or half circle shape, that the spindle went through
and then there were the two small round holes for the screws to
connect the two sides of the knob. Replacing them 10 years ago was
easy. Now, recently I had to replace another one and I went to two
different stores and it seems the standard now is the hole in the
door is a large couple inch circle. Am I right that this is the new
standard? Or does anyone know if I can still get the doorknobs that
fit the smaller half- moon door hole?

You can, but not at the places you're looking.

Building supply stores, whether chain "borgs" like Home Despot or
decent, locally-owned lumberyards, won't have old door hardware like
yours. You need to find a used or recycled building materials store. I
have no idea if there are any in your area, but if you live in or near a
metropolitan area of any decent size, there'll likely be one or more of
these places around.

I just bought a new-old lockset for a door I'm adding to a client's
house. Paid $50 for it, at a high-end building salvage business (Ohmega
Salvage in Berkeley, CA), but it was well worth it.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair