Kevin L. Bowling

Default Scarf joint or butt joint your choice on crown molding?

Scarf joint sounds a little extreme. I always just cut a 45 and that gives
me plenty gluing surface. Been running crown for 21 years and never been
called back for a shrunken piece of trim. Crown or otherwise.
Check out this scarf joint:
http://www.seasidesmallcraft.com/stepscrf.htm
I didn't even know what a scarf joint was. Had to do an internet search.
Apparently used in boat building to join two or more sheets of plywwood
lengthwise. Supposed to use at least an 8:1 ratio. You could do a butt joint
using a small piece of wood glued to the back and have as much gluing
surface as you want.

Kevin
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
Stephen Nuding writing for Fine Homebuilding prefers a butt joint for
joining pieces on a wall longer than the stock. He says it looks better
IF the pieces shrink, as opposed to a scarf joint. Can someone explain
why a glued scarf joint wouldn't stay together better? I just installed
baseboard today, and as usual, made scarf joints using nails and glue.
Seems to work fine on baseboard. So is there something a bit different
about crown that the joint would look better as a butt joint?

dave