Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is angle iron adequate for lintel?

Bruce wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The important thing here is to get a professional opinion from a
qualified structural engineer - something to beat Anglian over the head
with. Nothing less than that will do any good.

For sure. If I was doing any brickwork like that by the seat of my pants
in the middle of nowhere I'd have been looking at a length of I-beam or,
at a pinch, two L-sections opposing each other and straps welded across
between them underneath.
Ideally, I'd have looked up some prog to punch the numbers into, though.

It isn't just a question of finding a piece of software to punch numbers
into. Three years at University and a similar amount of structured
training, followed by a uniquely demanding examination which has to be
passed to obtain professional qualification, teaches rather more
understanding than that.

You would guesstimate load and look at allowable deflection and go from
there to a table.