Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Receptacles -- # of wires per screw

In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 2/11/2009 4:27 AM RBM spake thus:

"Tom Horne" wrote in message

I do not know which clamps you are referring to but that does not
reconcile with my experience in thirty three years in the craft. The
screw tightened clamps I have encountered have been fine on both
stranded and solid conductors and work better on stranded wire then
any screw binding connection without clamps ever would.

And in my thirty seven years in the business, I've found clamps work
great on stranded conductors, but on some devices, such as Leviton
GFCI outlets, the clamps are not nearly as secure with solid
conductors

I've used those same outlets and have never experienced any problems
securing solid wire (#12 or #14) to the clamps. What specific problems
have you had?

The problem is, that after tightening, the wires come loose when pushing the
outlet back into the wall. They don't always come loose, but of the hundreds
of these things I've installed, too many do come loose. Conversely, of the
thousands of outlets I've installed with screw tight connectors, I've never
had one come loose

I used a few of those back clamp style at the g.f.'s house, and found I
had to torque the screws far beyond what I'd consider "reasonable and
customary" to keep the wires from breaking loose while folding them back
into the box. Went back to the side screws after that.