Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Tamper-resistant sheet metal screws (Pin type)

In article ,
"John Gilmer" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message newsrestwhich-

I'd say it would be fairly uncommon for someone to have those tools
readily at hand. Easy to get when you need one, but not so common in a
toolbox or shop. We use the security allen heads in a customer's product
and have had to make a run to the tool store a couple of times to
replace a misplaced tool. And, we have a *lot* of tools in the shop.

Sorry, folks, but I picked up a selection of "Security" bits from Harbor
Freight about a month ago. It was on sale for about $8 for 100 bits. It
was worth the price just for the regular bits that were included. That cat
is "out of the bag."

There is a bit that used in those cheap toys that come from McD's that's NOT
in the selection:

It's a TRIANGLE bit. My "kit" has a three (as compared to four) slot
"phillips" bit but no solid triangle.

Your only hope is that the folks who want to take out those screws don't
plan AHead.

Yep. That's *exactly* what the OP is counting on. He doesn't want the
screws casually removed by any old knothead. The fact that you have a
set of bits and that they are readily available (which the OP already
said and I echoed) does *not* make them a staple item in everyone's
toolbox.